Saturday 3 October 2015

Broken Monsters by Lauren Beukes

This story reminded me of something, but for the life of me I just can't put my finger on it. Perhaps it was the whole bodies melding into each other and becoming strange portal like creepy horror shows.

It isn't so much broken monsters as a psycho serial killer, who comes into contact with something dark, evil and all consuming.

Technically he was only a wee bit unstable before he meets the inspiration for his future pieces of art.

It isn't for the faint of heart or readers who don't like a bit of gore with their gruesome.

Beukes has incorporated the reality and use of social media in her plot. A modern approach I think many younger readers will find it easy to envisage and connect with.

How easy and quickly it is to communicate or share information with the world, and the dangers that can potentially arise from that particular freedom.

The story is creepy, as in hairs on the back of your neck, and perhaps a little uncomfortable when you envision the scenarios.
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment