Friday 27 November 2015

The Iron Warrior by Julie Kagawa

When I got to the end of this book I was bit surprised to read that this is the last in the Iron series.

I still remember reading Kagawa's first venture into the Fey world with Megan, when she had to retrieve her baby brother from the claws of the Fey. Now Ethan is all grown up and fighting his own battles.

The end of The Iron Traitor (The Call of the Forgotten #2) left readers in shock. With Ethan somewhere between life and death, the Veil lifted to reveal the Fey and then closed again, and all at the hands of the Iron Prince.

Kierran made a choice between his love and his soul, a decision which has left cracks in both the Fey and human world. Once the golden boy and heir to the Iron Kingdom, he is now a traitor as far as his fellow Fey are concerned.

In The Iron Warrior we see Kierran become the pawn of the Old Forgotten Fey Queen and the leader of the huge Forgotten army. Aim: to destroy the Veil and restore the Forgotten Queen to power. Unfortunately the majority of the Fey don't remember the era of her terrible reign, which means they can't really comprehend the danger and risk coming their way. A few of the ancient Fey do remember and decide to intervene in the so-called fate propelled prophecy.

It was great to see Kenzie get a bigger and more active part in the story, although I personally felt there was too much romance and too many intimate moments taking up space in the book.

As I read the last chapter I was still quite unaware of this book being the last in the series and I was already busy thinking about where Kagawa could possibly take it from there. I believe it is a case of quitting before the air goes out of the story, and whilst it is still quite a popular read. I can't fault her for that thinking, but I admit I will miss this quirky bunch of Fey, especially Razor who is the equivalent of Potter's Dobby. No more sarcastic Grimalkin or snooty Puck, no more icy Ash or any of the drama driven Fey monarchy.

It is certainly an ending worthy of the Iron bunch & Co.
Thank you to Netgalley for my copy of The Iron Warrior.
Buy The Iron Warrior at Amazon UK or go to Goodreads for any other retailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment