Friday 25 September 2015

Baseball Dads by Matthew S. Hiley

Well I have to give it to Hiley, he absolutely does warn the reader what they are in for before the book even gets started. He also says he doesn't care and isn't interested whether you happen to be offended or not.

The chances of you being offended or being offended on behalf of someone else, at some point during the book, are fairly high.

It is violent, crude and graphic. Hiley leaves no stone unturned, whether it be politics, religion, race or sexuality. I cringed, I gasped and I think at one point I shut my eyes and shook my head.

Now, I understand what Hiley was trying to do. It is supposed to be a satirical, dark comedy with a huge finger pointing at the hypocrisy in our society. Does it do that? Yes it does, but at times it just seems like a step too far to make a point.

Personally I felt the surrounding story, and that is all it is, a bit of a story to go with all the barbs and jibes, was a bit of a let down. It needed to be just as hard-hitting as the rest of the dark comedy.

If you like your satire tough and chewy, and your comedy on the blacker side of dark then Hiley may just be your cup of tea.
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment