Monday 1 September 2014

A Place For Us (part 1) by Harriet Evans

There is a lot going on in this story. Loads of characters, each with a story and everyone is linked to the core characters Martha and David.

Even though I do think the beginning suffers a little from the constant change and hop skip jump from person to person, I would suggest sticking with it.

I found myself being drawn into the strange behaviour of Martha and the ominous event she is planning. In fact at the end I was surprised by how much the author had convinced me that I need to know what the secret is, ergo will have to read the next part to find out more.

Martha has come to a decision, something she has kept hidden for years has become too much of a burden to carry any longer. Perhaps old age and the need for a clear conscience is the reason for her sudden change of heart.

I am going to assume that whatever the secret is, the revelation will have an impact on each family member. I also think it is fair to say that at least one of the things she is about to reveal is about her daughter Daisy.

Daisy is notorious for her lack of mothering skills and constant absence throughout the years. Something about certain comments, recollections and conversations made me think she wasn't exactly the angel her mother portrays her to be.

Looking forward to the revelations in the second part of this family drama.
I received a copy of this book via Netgalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment