Sunday 24 April 2016

All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda

Initially when I read the premise and the way Miranda decided to approach this, well I was a little sceptical about her being able to keep the suspense and thrill going throughout the book, despite starting at the end rather than the beginning.

Going from Day 15 backwards to Day 1. The reader knowing everything at once and finding out how we got there instead.

It's really an intriguing way to do it, if you can pull it off. So I guess the real question is whether she did or not?

As far as I am concerned, absolutely. The author leads us on a backwards scavenger hunt through time, but instead of a big reveal at the start and the why at the end, she drops clues, hints and little tell-tale signs on every corner or rather in every chapter. Hoping in the end to deceive the reader or lull them into a false sense of security about the solution. It is very cleverly done. My hat off to the author.

Nicolette returns to her home town to help her brother get their parent's home ready for sale. Their father has been in a care home for a year, and they need the funds to pay for his care. His deteriorating mental state is the cause of the resurfacing of buried memories. In particular the memories in connection with the case of a girl who went missing over ten years ago. Nicolette's best friend. There one day, gone the next.

Does one of their close knit group know what really happened? Her brother, her ex-boyfriend, her father or the person who gave them an alibi? Nicolette returns home and then another girl goes missing. Coincidence or part of the bigger picture?

I usually guess the whodunnit part fairly early into a book. I have to admit this one had me going there for a bit, and the end is completely unexpected. There is no such thing as a good guy or bad guy in this book. Just an accumulation of events leading to misconceptions, rumours and false allegations.

It might seem as if I am being a wee bit evasive with the details, which is really not my style. If you've ever read my reviews before you'll know I have a tendency to discuss, tear apart, mutter and contemplate the books I read. Any details in this case will probably lead you straight to the answer, and I wouldn't want to spoil the ride.

Buy All the Missing Girls at Amazon UK, Amazon US or go to Goodreads for any other retailer.

Thank you  to NetGalley and Simon&Schuster for my ARC of all The Missing Girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment